Sunday, August 30, 2009

Surrendering to the Will of God

Lately I've been learning from God what it means to truly pray "not my will, but Yours." Sometimes it's hard to pray it and mean it. Scripture frequently relates accounts of God's gracious hand molding his children in ways that they often did not understand; ways that were exceedingly painful and heartbreaking. Why should I expect any less from the Master Potter? Why should I desire any less than being conformed to the image of His Son no matter how badly it hurts? I suppose this is what it means to learn to trust God. A.W. Tozer said that he whom God would use greatly, He must first wound deeply. I am reminded of the words of a poem, the author of which I do not know...

When God wants to drill a man,
And thrill a man,
And skill a man
To play the noblest part;
When He yearns with all His heart
To create so great and bold a man
That all the world shall be amazed,
Watch His methods, watch His ways!
How He ruthlessly perfects
Whom He royally elects!
How He hammers him and hurts him,
And with mighty blows converts him
Into trial shapes of clay which
Only God understands;
While his tortured heart is crying
And he lifts beseeching hands!
How He bends but never breaks
When his good He undertakes;How He uses whom He chooses,
And with every purpose fuses him:
By every act induces him
To try his splendor out—
God knows what He's about.


During these times I take great comfort in the Psalmist's oracle, "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46

2 comments:

Greg Breazeale said...

Man, I love that! Where did we ever get the idea that ministry was supposed to be about comfort and safety and risk-free living! I pray that Jesus literally beats the crap out of me, so He can use me the way He wants!

GB

Ben said...

Yeah Greg, I've been harping for some time on the problem of the delicate disciple. I confess that I am not at the place where I can say that I desire wounds, but I can say that I want to be useful. If that means that I must suffer mighty blows, then, "not my will, but Yours."

Ben